Teaching in Japan

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Language and Students

First, I want to tell you about my friend Johnny (an American by the way). We went out for dinner with a couple of people for our friend's birthday. One of the girls had a little to much to drink so Johnny instead of saying "Wow, you're drunk," in Japanese, he said "Wow, you're fat." Everyone stopped and looked at him until he realized his mistake then everyone started laughing. The worst part is that the person whom he said it to was the birthday girl.:( So sad.

I gave my students my email address so that if they ever had any questions about English they would be able to ask me at anytime. One of the students never seemed to mail me. I asked him why he never did and he said that he doesn't have a phone. That's really rare in Japan for a Japanese person not to have a phone. So, I asked him why, he said that his wife would call him all the time and it's just easier for him if he lived without it. And on top of that, he sad that his wife doesn't give him enough allowance to have a phone. Hahahaha. Wow, when he told me this I couldn't help but laugh deep inside. Then once he left I had a little laugh to myself. I couldn't imagine my wife/girlfriend controlling my expenses.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

HTML Counter
stats counter